Carminati Law PLLC
9.8Maria-Vittoria Galli Carminati

Call Us +1 720.445.5655

We at Carminati Law PLLC understand that moving to the US is not an easy process. Setting aside the move itself, the new language and US customs raise a whole host of new issues to tackle. While ex-patriated individuals may have had a clear framework for their legal and administrative needs in their countries of origin, moving to a new jurisdiction throws those systems up in the air. We at Carminati Law PLLC understand that. 

​In 2001, Giugi Carminati arrived from Europe as a US citizen who had never lived in the US. She met and overcame a number of challenges. It wasn't always easy. Luckily, this now means that newly arrived individuals and families don't have to have as hard a time. Giugi uses her years of experience and her law license to set up individuals with basic documents and help her clients understand the ins-and-outs of the US system. 

The "Law & Life in the US" kit includes the following for a flat fee of$1,750 (individual) or $2,950 (couple) (excluding translation and notarization fees):

Power of Attorney

A power of attorney is a document you can use to appoint someone to make decisions on your behalf, including transferring real estate, transferring property, signing contracts, handling money and managing bank accounts. This is critical if the person on whose behalf you are trying to act is out of town or out of the country. For partners who travel a lot, this is critical for peace of mind. The person you designate is called an "attorney-in-fact." The appointment can take effect right away or can become effective only if you cannot make decisions on your own. 

Will for US Assets Only

Dying without making a will means that upon your death, all property in the US will get divided according to state law. In some states, this means that only 1/2 of one's assets go to the surviving spouse. The rest is divided to children and/or other close relatives. If you don't have a spouse or children, then the State may determine you died intestate. A court will then divide your assets. In any case, the estate will go through a process called probate which can be long and cost. Further, if you have minor children, a judge will decide who cares for them. Preparing a will in the US allows you to have peace of mind that if something were to happen for you, everything is under control and your children can be repatriated, and your assets divided, according to your wishes.

Medical Power of Attorney

A medical power of attorney is a document signed by a competent adult (the "principal") designating a trusted person to make health care decisions for the principal if and when the principal is no longer able to make those decisions on their own. Medical Powers of Attorney can be effective forever or for specific terms. Medical Powers of Attorney can be broad or narrow and can be tailored to the principal's cultural, religious, scientific, and moral needs. 

Living Will

If you or a loved one is facing end-of-life conditions, do you know who is in charge? When families grow, whether by marriage, adoption, birth or long term relationships, who gets to decide end-of-life care may become harder to discern. The answer to these difficult conversations is, in part, a living will. A living will, sometimes also called a directive to physicians or advance directive, lets people clearly express their wishes for end-of-life medical care in case they are no longer able to communicate those decisions, removing doubt and debate.

Consent to Care for Children

In an emergency situation, you may not be able to tell your children's care providers your child's complete medical history or you may be unavailable if your child needs attention in the emergency department of your local hospital. There are forms that can help you get the care you need in a life-threatening situation. Among these are: Emergency Information Form for Children with Special Health Care Needs and Consent to Treat Form. A Consent to Treat Form gives a physician permission to treat your child when they are in someone else’s care. This make sure sure grandparents and babysitters can handle emergencies and medical care.

1 Hour Consultation for Insurance Terminology

Insurance terms can be confusing and if you don't know what they mean, you won't know what to look for. While we do not offer legal advice regarding insurance, our kit allows you to bring three health insurance and three car insurance plans so we can help you through the terminology. 

Utility Companies

As an added feature of our kit, we will provide an initial list of utility companies and their phone numbers so you can start researching what is available in your neighborhood. Again, don't waste hours looking for basic information. 

Public Schools

Homes in the United States are "zoned" to certain public schools. Rather than spending hours online trying to understand which schools your address is "zoned" to, we can jump start your research by providing you contact information for your school district. You can then go from there, but at least you know you're headed in the right direction.

Certified Translations With Apostille

If your document needs to be recognized abroad, it will have to be translated and any notarization will have to receive an Apostille. We will handle getting the documents listed above translated and we will obtain an Apostille from the Secretary of State. If you ever need your home country to take note of the documents you have, having them translated and Apostilled will make it that much easier and quicker.

Law & Life

in the US